From Nordan SymposiaJump to navigationJump to search
Fulcrum, the pivot on which a lever moves.
- 1. A prop or support; now only spec. in Mech. the point against which a lever is placed to get purchase or upon which it turns or is supported.
- 2. (Chiefly pl.) a. Bot. Accessory organs or appendages of a plant; e.g. bracts, stipules, tendrils, etc.
- b. Ichth. (pl.) The small osseous scales arranged in a row and situated on the anterior ray of the fins of many ganoid fishes.
- c. Zool. The stem or median part of the incus of the mastax of certain rotifers.
- d. . Ent. In Diptera, a chitinous portion of the pharynx.