- 1obsolete : prevent, hinder
- 2a : to stop, seize, or interrupt in progress or course or before arrival
- 3obsolete : to interrupt communication or connection with
- 4: to include (part of a curve, surface, or solid) between two points, curves, or surfaces <the part of a circumference intercepted between two radii>
- 5a : to gain possession of (an opponent's pass)
- b : to intercept a pass thrown by (an opponent)
An interception, intercept or pick is a move in many forms of football, including Canadian and American football, as well as rugby league, rugby union, Australian rules football and Gaelic football, which involves a pass, either by foot or hand, being caught by an opposition player, who usually gains possession for his team.